2016-2017 TSU Tigers Basketball Schedule, Roster, & TV Information [UPDATED 10/27/16]

We lost that game to SIU b/c Coach got a technical foul at the end and sent the other team to the line multiple times .. we were up until that point
That and Griffin's tech prior to that too... Did you watch the game? The ref called the tech on Coach Davis while standing near SIU's bench! Coach could've been mouthing off, but no way was he talking loud enough for that to be done. There was another ref standing right next to MD that didn't call a tech, but somehow the other ref called one. BS in my view, but it's said and done now.

AFTER MD got the tech, he was almost like Doc Rivers, but not so extreme:

We had the momentum in the second half, but those two tech's plus missed free throws did us in. Louisville is up next and Trae will play in his first game, so we'll see how he adds to the team.

That and Griffin's tech prior to that too... Did you watch the game? The ref called the tech on Coach Davis while standing near SIU's bench! Coach could've been mouthing off, but no way was he talking loud enough for that to be done. There was another ref standing right next to MD that didn't call a tech, but somehow the other ref called one. BS in my view, but it's said and done now.

AFTER MD got the tech, he was almost like Doc Rivers, but not so extreme:

We had the momentum in the second half, but those two tech's plus missed free throws did us in. Louisville is up next and Trae will play in his first game, so we'll see how he adds to the team.

Of course I watched the game, I rank myself in the top 5 of the most loyal TSU fans lol. But I mean him mouthing off didn't change the situation for the better. He should've waited after the game .... let's be real here, before the technical foul we had a chance to win but he totally blew it after our boys busted their ass the whole game

Last edited:
I'm watching the TCU game and I'm thinking to myself ... why the hell did coach schedule two big games back to back like this in two different states?? Our guys clearly look tire and exhausted playing all these road games against top 100 RPI teams. We can compete with TCU but only as a rested team.

I know he likes to schedule games during the winter break as there's likely more chance of an upset, but I agree with you. Then we have Baylor tomorrow.

I know he likes to schedule games during the winter break as there's likely more chance of an upset, but I agree with you. Then we have Baylor tomorrow.
How can we upset someone when we're tired as hell. I think he did it for the money only. That Baylor game was so sloppy, I couldn't bare to watch. I can watch us lose, but lose with some class and dignity only ... at least be competitive

Well we're now in the conference portion of the schedule and I have expectations that we win the conference and the conference tournament, BUT take no team lightly and beat the crap out of every team as if we were the #1 team in the country. Play like a champion and don't take the foot off the pedal. Next 3 games are all away @ Alcorn (1/2), @ Southern (1/4), & @ PV (1/7). Let's go get em!

Only 700 at the PV game. Was it weather related? I know school wasn't in but still usually at least 3K are in attendance

Only 700 at the PV game. Was it weather related? I know school wasn't in but still usually at least 3K are in attendance
672 from the box score. Looks like Saturday's weather was a high of 41 and a low of 19 degrees with it hitting 37 (32 degree windchill) and dropping around the women's game time. I'm going to guess that this was part of that problem

Any excuse, fans so apathetic. it was a good game to watch
IT sounded like it was! I hope with school starting Tuesday and people moving in this weekend, that Saturday's game will not only be several thousand in attendance, but a rowdy bunch!

I fully intend to make it out to a game soon! I wanted to go to the PV game on feb 4 but I've got family coming into town to visit so can't do that one

I
I fully intend to make it out to a game soon! I wanted to go to the PV game on feb 4 but I've got family coming into town to visit so can't do that one
its looking like I might be out there this weekend

My goal is to make every game I can in DFW which I did also I'm planning to make it to the SWAC Tourney this year. But we're barely winning games by sorry team. We lost to MVSU (but the refs were terrible and MVSU were on fiya) and almost lost to the terrible Bama State. My expectations for the season has lessened since Derrick left but I still think we will win the regular season title .. the tourney is still up in the air

You can re-watch Saturday's Women's game against Alabama State here:

And the men's game here:

I think we're finally streaming all the games live. Be on the lookout for the link for tonights game to stream live here.

My view:
I went to the game on Saturday. I don't think the team chemistry is there to be honest. In my opinion, Trae has a solid basketball IQ and vision, but the game he's used to playing doesn't translate as easy to higher levels of sports and I think his attitude is hurting his production. He has the ability to push inside and drive, but can't seem to finish around the basket. He has the handles to be able to draw a defender or two, but he's gotta be unselfish and give that ball to the open man. I think he could destroy a good zone defense if he's got the right attitude and plays his role on the team. Lofton has gotta carry the team on his back at times and has gotta know he's the team captain. Jones/Bennett/Rutherford have got to be more aggressive and stop playing so close under the basket. Those rebounds pop out and they're too far inside to grab the rebound. I like McCloud's aggressiveness and unselfishness from what I've seen... I don't see him drawing attention to himself, so I consider him a good role player. Robinson/Scott are feast or famine -- either they're on fire or they're not hitting anything. Selfishness also a detriment to them. Everyone else either isn't playing enough consistent minutes or is playing their role (ie:Bynum).

Sidenote:
The student's were there, and I saw a few glimpses of energy at the very end, but overall it was a very very tame crowd. I hate it when it's so quiet I can hear the gym lights buzzing. Hopefully it was the result of a Saturday game during the week the NFL is in town for the Super Bowl, but I sure hope it's not the new normal.

Last edited:
I watched the game via the live stream (the stream was way worse than the football one in 2014). I have to agree with you on almost everything. This squad is not kicking ass like we've become used too. And what's bad about it is that the SWAC is having a down year. There's really no truly quality opponents (no one is close to over .500 except TSU and Alcorn) .... Southern University would've been that opponent but they kicked key players off the team and now they're small and forgettable. It's too late in the season to expect change, what we see is what we get.

The Honda Battle of the Bands was Saturday and we had several buses of students headed to Atlanta to support the Ocean of Soul so that explains a lot. But we should be in the top 3 in SWAC average attendance this year, we normally are. The PV game Sat should be close to sold out, I wanted to go but I'm not going b/c I don't want to deal with Super Bowl LI traffic, all the hotels are booked, and my TSU buddies that live in Houston I normally go to games with want to avoid Super Bowl traffic too so they'll be watching the live stream.

You can re-watch Saturday's Women's game against Alabama State here:

And the men's game here:

I think we're finally streaming all the games live. Be on the lookout for the link for tonights game to stream live here.

My view:
I went to the game on Saturday. I don't think the team chemistry is there to be honest. In my opinion, Trae has a solid basketball IQ and vision, but the game he's used to playing doesn't translate as easy to higher levels of sports and I think his attitude is hurting his production. He has the ability to push inside and drive, but can't seem to finish around the basket. He has the handles to be able to draw a defender or two, but he's gotta be unselfish and give that ball to the open man. I think he could destroy a good zone defense if he's got the right attitude and plays his role on the team. Lofton has gotta carry the team on his back at times and has gotta know he's the team captain. Jones/Bennett/Rutherford have got to be more aggressive and stop playing so close under the basket. Those rebounds pop out and they're too far inside to grab the rebound. I like McCloud's aggressiveness and unselfishness from what I've seen... I don't see him drawing attention to himself, so I consider him a good role player. Robinson/Scott are feast or famine -- either they're on fire or they're not hitting anything. Selfishness also a detriment to them. Everyone else either isn't playing enough consistent minutes or is playing their role (ie:Bynum).

Sidenote:
The student's were there, and I saw a few glimpses of energy at the very end, but overall it was a very very tame crowd. I hate it when it's so quiet I can hear the gym lights buzzing. Hopefully it was the result of a Saturday game during the week the NFL is in town for the Super Bowl, but I sure hope it's not the new normal.

Last edited:
Live stream of today's game against Alabama A&M:

Replay of the women's game against Alabama A&M:

Last edited:
Live stream of today's game against Alabama A&M:

Replay of the women's game against Alabama A&M:

That was the best team ball I've seen all season from our Men's Team. If we play every game like we played last night, we will win the SWAC Championship and likely upset a few opponents.

I'm not sure if we played well or if Alabama A&M is so sorry. They've only won one conference game.
Watching Saturday's game vs watching this game was a big difference to me. I saw the team gelling and correcting all of what was wrong on Saturday. I hope we play like this and better come this weekend against PV

Back