Nelson

TigerFans Premium
111C3jTmShUcAAXYTD.jpg

Texas Southern Football #TSUNAMI17 2017 Signing Class

24 Total signees below:

Football Schedule for 2017:
1112C3jTmShUcAAXYTD.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the new guys but I was hoping to see some JUCO transfers b/c I feel like they're more prepared to make an immediate impact. But I trust Haywood's vision and will reserve my harsh critiques and negative comments until necessary.

Last edited:
Of the QBs, my favorite is Elijah Odom from VA. I looked up both of their highlight reels and he was most impressive and I love his size. To me that's the key position we need properly filled, then some good WRs ... I think we're returning a better and more experienced defense with returning players.

The QB from Tampa I don't think will be a cultural fit even though he looks like he got a decent arm .... being a white guy from a elitist/preppy private school with little blacks ..... it's just gonna be interesting to say the least. I'm sure he's not familiar with black culture and just the HBCU experience so that might be a distraction. But then again, I had a white classmate from Spain while I was at TSU and he did OK from what I seen so I guess it can happen. Also he'll be in Houston which is so diverse so he can always easily venture out and find his scene. UH is not even "white" anymore so he can't walk across the street looking for that. I went to UH a couple months ago and I didn't see any "traditional" white students hanging out. We do have a lot of white guys on our baseball team and they seem to like TSU, maybe he can hook up with them

Last edited:
And also I'm glad to see most of our signees are from the Houston area, that's a great way to help get the city behind the program and help improve attendance (their family, high school classmates, friends, etc)

And they said TEXAS SOUTHERN couldn't recruit HOUSTON!

No matter the outcome, Haywood is doing what others before him said couldn't be done. We are recruiting the Houston area. We will make strides this upcoming season and the end goal is always a championship, but next best is to improve in all facets.

I haven't seen the tape on most of these guys myself as life hasn't afforded me the chance to do so as much as I would like, but I'll tell you the cultural fit shouldn't be a problem for most. It might be different on the yard on hump day, but as much time as he'll spend with his teammates, it shouldn't be too hard of an adjustment.

Interesting, I never heard anyone say TSU can't recruit in Houston but that definitely doesn't mean it's not true.

Yeah, hudl is so comprehensive. All the recruits so far have hudl accounts. Now that I'm done with graduate school, I have a lot more free time to do other stuff.

Interesting, I never heard anyone say TSU can't recruit in Houston but that definitely doesn't mean it's not true.

Yeah, hudl is so comprehensive. All the recruits so far have hudl accounts. Now that I'm done with graduate school, I have a lot more free time to do other stuff.
Asberry was infamous for saying that no kid from Houston wanted to come to Texas Southern. Also many coaches and schools have either never been visited by Texas Southern or haven't been visited in an extremely long time. This staff has been putting in work establishing a relationship with the local schools/coaches.

Ugh, I hope I never see his name again on this board. He had low football intelligence. Everyone knows how much I dislike him.

The current staff is highly motivated, love what they do, and nothing but good can come from it. I wish we had an organized football booster club/football fundraisers like most colleges do to help financially support the program

Ugh, I hope I never see his name again on this board. He had low football intelligence. Everyone knows how much I dislike him.

The current staff is highly motivated, love what they do, and nothing but good can come from it. I wish we had an organized football booster club/football fundraisers like most colleges do to help financially support the program
It's not football specific but the Maroon & Grey Alumni Chapter is specifically for TSU Athletics

They are not prominent in the TSU community b/c I know not one member, don't know how to join, and I forgot they existed.
They're known in the Houston area... @tsuball10 just joined.

Very few of the chapters have websites, but they need to contact whomever created the JHJ Chapter's site for help. I think they should all be funnelled from the main TSUNAA website (tsunaa.com/dallas, tsunaa.com/jhj, etc) but that's just my opinion. Outreach overall is virtually nonexistent.

They're known in the Houston area... @tsuball10 just joined.

Very few of the chapters have websites, but they need to contact whomever created the JHJ Chapter's site for help. I think they should all be funnelled from the main TSUNAA website (tsunaa.com/dallas, tsunaa.com/jhj, etc) but that's just my opinion. Outreach overall is virtually nonexistent.

I was part of the JHJ Alumni Association but I don't think the executive board likes me after my critique about the current alumni director. She's not doing anything from what I see and I wanted to organize the group to remove her. I did a reply all to the JHJ alumni association about it and it just didn't go over well simply put but that's fine. They do have a great website and is the most organized and active alumni chapter at Texas Southern. The Dallas chapter isn't really that active and only have two major event each year and its the annual scholarship banquet and freshmen send off. PVAMU, Southern, and Grambling alumni chapters are way more active here in Dallas, even moreso than bigger in-state schools like UH, SHSU, SFA, Rice, Texas State, UTSA, etc.

That's a good idea to funnel everything through the TSUNAA website which rarely have updates, again the alumni director is terrible. I mean the last time we received an alumni magazine was 4 years ago. Alumni relations needs to be revamped completely. There's so many TSU alums I know with lots of discretionary income but ain't donating b/c they haven't been asked.

Last edited:
The QB from Tampa I don't think will be a cultural fit even though he looks like he got a decent arm .... being a white guy from a elitist/preppy private school with little blacks ..... it's just gonna be interesting to say the least. I'm sure he's not familiar with black culture and just the HBCU experience so that might be a distraction.

Culture shouldn't be a problem. I played baseball 2003-2006 and we had people from the backwoods of Texas and probably had never had a black teammate or classmate and the only time not wearing cowboy boots was to put cleats on. Once you are losing blood, sweat, and tears with your teammates it makes it easier.

Yeah like I said, most of the white guys I knew on campus were baseball guys from Unknown, Texas and they seemed unbothered by the HBCU status so maybe you're right.

Culture shouldn't be a problem. I played baseball 2003-2006 and we had people from the backwoods of Texas and probably had never had a black teammate or classmate and the only time not wearing cowboy boots was to put cleats on. Once you are losing blood, sweat, and tears with your teammates it makes it easier.

Bishop Dunne's Rajan Cunningham is a game changer. He's a legit DI prospect and is the full package. If he stays healthy we will do extremely well in the running game ... I can't see any of our current players competing with him for a starting spot

This recruiting class is really good for a FCS program. It's safe to have high expectations absolutely this time around
WIthout a doubt we surpassed expectations last year even taking major hits on the team due to injuries and departures... and I am sure we will exceed expectations this year

Back