What's going on with the new Athletic Strength and Conditioning Facility?

TXSUDFWTIGER

So I was excited when this was first announced in early 2023. I truly believe this will help us tremendously when recruiting great talent. This is like 30 years late but as long it's here I happy with the progress. So I was told and the athletics website said it would be completed last year but for whatever reason there were delays. I was hoping this would be done before the 2024 season but I haven't heard about any official celebration and ribbon cutting which is traditional at TSU (or any college) with any new campus facility opening.

Any updates? Will it be ready before the 2024 season?

TSUSC.jpg
TSUSC2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it was opened already. They had the groundbreaking ceremony January 23 and it was nearing completion as of last year I recall... let me dig up some tweets

Oh thanks, I thought it would be some type of grand opening. I was on campus a couple months ago and it didn't look ready nor have i heard much about it. It looks good from what I see.

And the fans will pack out the stadium if we win more consistently. I think we have a stronger football fanbase than basketball even though we have a better basketball program. But we actually do pretty good in attendance for both. If you look at Sam Houston State University which has about 22K students we beat them in football and basketball attendance. And Sam Houston had a couple of years when their football team was ranked in the top 5 in the FCS. So we punch above our weight so to speak, especially as a school without highly ranked athletic programs or recruiting classes. And yeah our basketball team has won some big games but they never got better than a 16 seed. We have some room to grow and I hope this new facility jumpstarts that growth

2019 football attendance is the latest I can find but not much has changed:

2022 basketball attendance is the lastest I can find but not much has changed:

Last edited:
Yeah after you mentioned it I was surprised not to see anything mentioned, but with that webpage not even updated, I'm not surprised.

I agree with football -- been saying for years that TSU is a sleeping giant in Houston. Many Houston fans are just fair weather fans though, except for what I've seen with the Texans.

I haven't been back to Houston for a home game in a while, but from what I've seen streamed/broadcast, basketball attendance is back up to levels I hadn't seen since about 2015.

Yeah after you mentioned it I was surprised not to see anything mentioned, but with that webpage not even updated, I'm not surprised.

I agree with football -- been saying for years that TSU is a sleeping giant in Houston. Many Houston fans are just fair weather fans though, except for what I've seen with the Texans.

I haven't been back to Houston for a home game in a while, but from what I've seen streamed/broadcast, basketball attendance is back up to levels I hadn't seen since about 2015.
I think the University Towers helped with that. More students living on campus. I also heard that they were going to redo Lanier East and Lanier West, possibly make them bigger too

Also I feel with UH going P5 that will have a positive trickle down effect on TSU. It's hard for me to put in words but just keep your eyes open.

Back